Like everything we do at Functional Self, our recipes have been designed to help you achieve your optimal state. The foods we eat impact our energy levels, mood and cognitive ability, as well as supporting a healthy gut microbiome. We wanted to create a recipe series that focuses on nutrient-dense real foods that will help you reach your highest level of health and vitality. Functional Self recipes are packed full of nourishing ingredients and will help to provide a clear path ahead for clean eating, regardless of your starting off point.
• Level: Easy
• Time: 30 minutes
• Makes: 4 servings
A juicy and flavour packed burger in a sweet potato “bun”. Grain free simplified! The “bun” is super easy to make and tastes great. You could also use a large flat mushroom (see the Mediterranean chicken burger recipe) Try to use relatively fat round sweet potatoes if you want to achieve a bun like size and shape. Serve with some fresh mixed salad leaves with a drizzle of MCT or olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
• 500g beef mince
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 10g chopped coriander
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
• 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 2 large fat sweet potatoes
• 2 large avocados (halved or sliced)
• 1 teaspoon sea / himalayan pink salt
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• Coconut oil (or Ghee)
• Pesto (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 (GM4). Peel and cut the sweet potato into 8 slices approximately 1.5cm/half an inch thick.
2. Brush the potato slices on both sides with a little oil and pop in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
3. Thoroughly combine the beef, oregano, coriander, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and turmeric together.
4. Divide the mixture into 4, roll into balls and then squash them down to form patties approximately 2cm thick.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and cook the burgers on a low heat for approximately 7 minutes each side.
6. Remove the sweet potato from the oven, stack on a plate with the avocado, kofta patty, pesto and another sweet potato slice.
7. Serve with mixed salad leaves, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.